One of the most rewarding parts of any good workout is how amazing post-workout nutrition tastes.
Eating quality food post-workout is crucial. The science on recovery can get pretty complex but if you boil it down to what’s significant you get the following: you need to replace the amino acids and glycogen lost during your workout.
Starting the muscle building process by increasing protein synthesis and nitrogen retention requires a quick dose of the right protein and carbohydrates. Don’t rely on plain protein shakes they’re boring, often lacking the glycogen you need and are an absolute affront to your flavor-deprived palate. Besides, your body prefers a wide variety of nutrient-dense foods. Try this delicious chocolate peanut butter post-workout smoothie, it’s one of my favorites. It combines great sources of protein; almond, peanut, and whey with high glycemic-index banana.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Post-Workout Smoothie
- 2 scoops — Whey (ON used for nutrion calculation)
- 2 tablespoons — Natural Creamy Peanut Butter (Kirkland)
- 1 Banana
- 1 tablespoon — Chia seeds
- 2 cups — Silk Almond Milk – Unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon — Hershey – Unsweetened Special Dark Coco Powder